Standish was incorporated as a Village in 1893 and Mr. James E. Austin was elected as its first President. In 1903 it was incorporated as a City. Mr. H. Randall was elected its first Mayor.
Standish was without a railroad until the early part of 1871, when the Jackson and Lansing road was built, now the Michigan Central. The train at that time ran as far north as Wells Station. The building now used as a freight house and office was the first depot built. This was used as a passenger and freight depot until 1889, when the new stone depot was erected. The grounds surrounding the new depot were cleared and graded by the Business Men's Association. Previous to the building of the railroad, Standish was reached by stage from Pine River. The first passenger coach to arrive in Standish was attached to a construction train on July 4, 1871.
The first hotel in the Village was built in 1871 by Sheriff Burmel, of Bay City and named the Standish House and was under the management of William Shillinger. This hotel was afterwards purchased by George W. Shillinger who occupied it until 1881, when he sold it to Jerome B. Davis. It was destroyed by fire in March, 1902.
Excerpt taken from the Arenac County Independent, 1912. By Dr. R. McGurk.
City of Standish399 E. Beaver St.P.O. Box 726Standish, MI 48658
Phone: (989) 846-9588Fax: (989) 846-6287Office HoursMonday-Friday8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.